• Blake DeMarr, PE

The Duvall Foundry - Georgetown, D.C.

The Duvall Foundry Entrance - 1050 30th Street, NW

The Duvall Foundry Building Plaque

From picture above:

"The Duvall Foundry

1050 - 30th Street, N.W.

Built between 1856 and 1866 as a machine shop by William T. Duvall, The Foundry is typical of commercial structures of that period. Duvall purchased the land from Thomas Beall, a grandson of Ninian Beall who was one of Georgetown's first settlers in the early 1700's.

After 1870, The Foundry housed a variety of business. One of the most unusual was a veterinary hospital which cared for the mules used on the C&O Canal.

Restoration of The Foundry by 1055 Thomas Jefferson Associates took place between 1973 and 1976, the building was temporarily moved 80 feet south to allow construction of a new foundation.

As it stands today, The Foundry is testimony of a bygone era, complementing the C&O Canal National Park and offering visitors a pleasant stop in Historic Georgetown."


This article is brought to you by DEMARR Engineering, PLLC, a Washington, DC Civil Engineering Firm. For a list of Civil Engineering and Land Surveying services we provide in Georgetown and the rest of Washington DC, visit https://www.demarrengineering-dc.com/services-dc or email us at info@demarr-engr.com for more information.

2 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All