NYC Buildings.png

New York City

When do I need a Construction Permit in New York City? 

The majority of construction projects in New York City will require a Department of Buildings Permit. In most cases, a New York State licensed Professional Engineer (PE) or Registered Architect (RA) must file plans and pull permits before work begins. Our New York State licensed PE's can help you develop the required plans and process permitting documents. 

The main category of permit applications are New Building (NB) and Alterations (Type 1, 2, or 3), as shown listed below. Your architect can coordinate the other types of permits such as boiler, elevator, and interior plumbing.

  • NB: Construction of new structures

  • ALT1: Major alterations that will change use, egress or occupancy. 

  • ALT2: Multiple types of work, not affecting use, egress or occupancy. 

  • ALT3: One type of minor work, not affecting use, egress or occupancy. 


Our New York State licensed Professional Engineers (PEs) will help guide you, and work with your architect, every step of the way from concept to certificate of occupancy. We will always be available by phone and email to answer any questions you may have. 

Project Snapshot

  1. Determine the necessary permits, and then file applications and construction drawings. 

  2. Obtain Department plan approval.

  3. File and pull permits. 

  4. Perform approved work.

  5. Pass the final inspections.

  6. Receive a new or amended Certificate of Occupancy or Letter of Completion.


Contact us today to talk about your Civil Engineering project in New York City. 

Phone:  (929) 346-7112


Need help on a project in a different area? 

Click a button below to read about our other service areas.